Monday, April 8, 2013

Sewing Project #1: Envelope Pillow Covers.



Hello. Hello. Hello.

Where have I been?  Why did I disappear?  What has Fiona been up to?

     Well, I have finally been able to sit down and focus for 1. (pregnancy stole my brain.)  And 2. I HAVE BEEN SEWING like a crazy lady!  No really.  I am finally beginning the physical beginnings of teaching myself how to sew.  

     And 3.   I have been going through a lot of transitions and Fiona has started teething.  Though she goes through days of teething, Fiona IS SO MUCH FUN.  She just talks and talks and laughs and laughs and is just a joy.  What a ham and handful she is.  I love that crazy little girl.  We got her a brand new pink Bumbo at the swapmeet yesterday for $12.50. 


     So far she Loves it for a hot minute and then is done with it.  But, her muscles will strengthen and like all things she will become accustomed to it.

     Back to sewing.  About 3 weeks ago Jason had a 4 day weekend after working 4 consecutive 6 day work weeks and we just wanted to hang out at home.  For whatever reason that sparked a fire within me.  I decided that by the end of that 4 day weekend I would complete my first project.

     Now, if you remember, I had gotten my sewing machine about this time last year.  I had lofty goals of teaching myself how to sew and make Fiona a baby quilt with 16 embroidered squares.  Umm.  Yea.
That was completely UNrealistic. Unrealistic for a pregnant me at least.  For me, pregnancy is an entire physical and mental mind suck.  Everything is so much harder, the simplest tasks are difficult, conversations are painful, and new endeavors are too much to deal with while pregnant.   However, blog stalking for inspiration was a lot of fun.

     Needless to say I did not get anything accomplished last year that I had thought I would be able to do with my fleeting free time while pregnant.  Every single project was so hard to understand.  Directions were impossible.  And hormones were raging. 


Now, not pregnant, with a clear mind, and an ability to focus, I have completed three beginning sewing projects in 3 weeks.  

PROJECT #1
ENVELOPE PILLOW COVERS!!!!


     I love this beginner project.  I was able to learn some basics of sewing and how to operate my machine without being overwhelmed.  If you notice, I chose to use the home décor fabric I scored in Lake Arrowhead last year (click here to read about my Lake Arrowhead finds).  I was able to practice pressing and pinning.  I learned how to use a seam gauge and understand the difference between a ¼” and ½” seam allowance.  Best of all I was able to see the fruits of my labor quickly. 

     After I made my first pillow cover I decided to repeat the process to make sure I understood what it was I was actually doing.  I made the 2nd pillow case in a night when Fiona was asleep.

     As you can see, I am definitely a beginner.  Learning the mechanics of sewing were my first priority.  With this project being so easy I chose to neglect the could-be stress of fabric pattern direction and like I said, focus on the mechanics of the structure for the pillowcovers.  Of course that will be a priority in my projects from now on and for forever. 


     Also, for my first pillow cover I did not account for me using a goose feathered pillow instead of a regular pillow form for my measurements.  Jason had previously advised me to add more than 1" to the measurements of the pillow cover but I wanted to do my first project exactly to directions.   Because of that my cover was about two inches too small on the backside where the envelope action happens.  So, originally I added 1" to the length and width of the size of the pillow form for the front piece and 4" to the entire length of the cut back piece before cutting the back piece of fabric in half. As you can see, we are busting out here.


     So.  For pillow cover #2 I kept the front piece the same measurements and added a good four inches to the entire length of the back piece of fabric before I cut it in half.  This resulted in a very cozy fit.


I am quite content with my corners on every corner of these pillow covers.  They are quite pointy :)

 Swing by tomorrow and check out the other 2 projects I completed for Fiona and I.  Happy Monday and Cheers!




No comments :

Post a Comment