Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Sewing Project #2: Boobie Barricade Nursing Cover


     For my second sewing project I chose to make a nursing cover.  Jason came up with the name BOOBIE BARRICADE and I think that it is an amazing name for it.  Acually, the best name for it.  We might get it Copy Righted.  Anywho, could I have bought one?  Yes, very easily and for a great deal.  But, I wanted to make one myself with fabric I actually enjoyed.  Again, I wanted a less in your face patterned fabric.


      
     I YouTubed the project and saw that it was a really great project for a beginner like me.  After having YouTubed a few tutorials I remembered that I had bought a pattern with a nursing cover being part of it.  I took this opportunity to cut my first pattern out and cut out my first fabric pieces with the pattern pieces pinned to them.  I did not take pictures because it was a little daunting trying to understand a new language in pattern directions.  


     It was perfect because almost everything was straightforward.  There was one piece, the facing, that threw me for a loop.  I had cut this particular piece on the fold but did not cut through the fold.  This resulted in the facing being half the length it needed to be.  Because of this I then thought that I had cut the main piece that was also cut on the fold out incorrectly before I had realized it was this one singular mistake that threw me into a riddle-solving tizzy long into the next night when I finally realized what I had done.  Let me tell you, I definitely understand that pattern direction now. You cut the piece on the fold to double your length of fabric for the piece.




           From there the completion of the nursing cover went pretty well.  I only had two more minor hiccups.  One, where I had attatched the facing and pinned the entire length of it only to realize I had misjudged my placement and had to repin the entire facing down again.  The second was a seam I had made for the boning to be secured in was not straight at all.  So I ripped the seam out and sewed it again.  The boning fit perfectly the second time



     I definitely need to practice at sewing straight lines and need to stick to blending colored thread until I graduate past novice status.  But what is fun is that even though in this picture it is easy to see these inconsistencies, you can't tell they are on the finished product.  And I think it will be fun to look back on one of my first projects to see what a rookie was.
. 

     I love this nursing cover.  It is large and light and provides a great deal of ventilation for Fiona to breathe while still providing me the privacy I need to feel comfortable in certain situations. 



     I really enjoy the strap on it.  It makes the cover really flexible for different situations when elevated modesty is most certainly required.



     Looking back it was a fantastic beginners project and I would not mind making another one to have as an extra.
 
This project taught me the following things:
  • An introduction into simple pattern cutting
  • An introduction into simple pattern placing and pinning to fabric
  • An introduction into cutting fabric and cutting out fabric in accordance to the pinned pattern piece.
  • Practice in ¼” seams
  • How to attach straps
  • How to attach D Rings
  • How to attach facing
  • How to secure and insert boning


Fiona seems to love it too!
Cheers!




  

No comments :

Post a Comment