Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tom's Farms - Corona, CA

TOMS FARMS

                Jason and I went to Tom’s Farms in Corona, CA today and had a fantastic time!  On our way there Jason ran into the 99 Cents store to buy something small and came out with two farmers hats.  They were the deal of the day!  He absolutely loves his 99 cent farmer’s hat.  It was so hot in the Inland Empire today, it was his saving grace and helped him feel at home at the farm.

Notice his snobbery
                I was particularly excited to venture to Tom’s Farms because it is such an iconic place in my childhood.  I lived in Menifee and Sun City for 3 years and would stop by Tom’s often with my dad or grandparents on the way to or home from my grandparents house.  They are no longer alive, so it was very fun for me to relive my younger childhood and be somewhere fond memories are kept.   And, I LOVE my farmers markets!!!
Unfortunately, we did  not get a pony ride.
                 When we arrived, we first went to the craft fair being held this weekend.  It was small and was more mainstream based crafted items.  There were however some fun tents.  I bought 2 orange peelers that look like crochet hooks.  Jason knew what it was, I had never seen it before in my life.  When he told me what it was I was sad I was in the dark about it because I loathe peeling oranges.  It is going to come in handy for my homemade Christmas presents.  I also bought 5 fun colored bandanas for $7 from a lovely red-headed biker lady.  She had skulls tattooed on her thighs and sold dream catchers whose leather she dies and creates herself.  She was by far my favorite person I met today.  We also met a cowboy from Arizona with an extremely long, gray, and wavy handlebar mustache, as well as a lovely tattooed couple selling gypsy soaps.  The craft fair was small but it still suckered me out of $10.  It was great.
                
Every item absolutely needed for a properly decorated kitchen.
     Tom’s Farms also has a home store where they sell all sorts of, wait for it, things for the home.  They have everything from rocking chairs, to kitchen décor, to boys bed sets, to lotions, to flowered sofas that you Grandma Jane would tell her husband they need. 

Look closely, you might find Waldo's wife...

Our wine tasting backdrop

Our Wine Tasting
                Next to that is Tom’s Wine and Cheese Shop where you can score a delightful wine tasting.  Jason got 4 tastings for $5, and I tasted his tastings.  He picked two, and I picked two.  We tried Tom’s Cab Sauv., A boysenberry wine from Oregon, a Tequila Spirit Alternative (base is orange wine, mild Tequila), lastly we tasted Tom’s Sangria. Jason and I both decided the Boysenberry Wine was our favorite, it was delicious.  Jason said it would make a fantastic breakfast treat and I could not agree more.

Nathan's.  Mmmmm
                After this we grubbed out on lunch.  We ate at Nathan's.  Nathan makes some damn good hamburgers as well as hot dogs, let me tell ya!  I bought the Latin Burger, which had Ortega Anaheim chiles and cheese.  Jason bought the Swiss burger that had Swiss Cheese, with grilled onions and mushrooms.  We ate on the deck outside and it was too good.

So freaking cute.
I want this.
                Next we walked around the kids area of the farmers place and came across some awesome and random finds.  I think Jason’s favorite was the tractor that you could put 50cents in and play with (Which he did).  You could move the neck up and down and pick up and drop sand.  I admit, I was jealous I didn’t get to play.  My favorite find was the beautiful sitting area.  I would love to have that on a larger scale in my future home.

I am one happy gal

                Our last stop at the farm was the most nostalgic stop for me.  The market and candy shop.  This market has high prices in comparison to my local farmers market, but Tom’s is well known and has the traffic that allows its pricing.  The candy shop has the ABSOLUTE BEST CHOCOLATE COVERED HONEYCOMB  in the entire world.  When we had discussed driving to Tom’s Farms, my only request is that we buy honeycomb.  So I bought a container of dark chocolate covered honeycomb and ate it on the drive we did today.  Hands down could not have been a happier gal.
                We continued our drive through Lake Elsinore, Murrieta, and Menifee.  A lot of development has occurred since I lived in Menifee.  The place is a lot bigger than what I recall.  We even got to see my old elementary school.  I attended school there the first year it opened and have a handprint with my name on it in the middle of the school, along with all my other classmates. Unfortunately, it was gated and sealed tight shut so we couldn’t access it.  But it was again, nice to visit an old friend. 

A perfect picture for a perfect day, thanks Jason
               
        Jason and I had a terrific day doing exactly what we love: visiting and exploring.  Today is by far one of those perfect days.  Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment