Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Fiona's Baby Quilt Fabric Selection




                I took a trip to Joanne’s the day after I designed Fiona’s baby quilt.  I had only intended to use up a 50% Off coupon and buy 3 yards of white cotton fabric to embroider the squares.  But, I fell into the seductive trance that Joanne’s walls of fabrics can put on a girl.  I spent 2 hours pulling and putting back 12-15 different fabrics.  In the end I had decided these were the best choice.  Firstly, I thought I would do this quilt in pinks and yellows and blues and greens.  However, I fell in love with the floral fabrics and really think these speak of the era I have in my heart for this quilt.  I absolutely love them.  I like that they are so cozy and endearing, classic, yet timeless.  Which I think will be perfect for Fiona.  The picture on bottom is the fabric I think I am going to use for the bottom.  I am also envisioning a matching pillow made out of the bottom fabric as well.  Wouldn’t it be adorable?
                My next step is to cut out all 44 5” squares.  I bought 3 yards white fabric to embroider on, but Jason made a really good point.  Because the color palette for the quilt altered, I need to alter the fabric I embroider on.  So, I am going to go back today or tomorrow and buy a matching light tan color to embroider the images on.  Luckily, I have a 60% Off coupon that expires tomorrow.  I also think that instead of doing the muted colors similarly used on my blog to embroider, I might do all the images in solid red or solid pink.  I think that would be most feminine and fitting.  I also think that it would reduce any clashing the other colored threads might cause since I chose a smaller color palette.   Anywho, I have baby shower stuff I HAVE GOT TO GET DONE today.  So I better scoot. 
                If you are reading this and you follow twitter you can follow me here to get updates on my next posts and current rants: @madetheflowers. One day I will have a twitter link on here so it’s just a click of an old button.  One day, hopefully soon!  Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment