Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fiona's Baby Quilt Dimensions




Hello all,
                I have completed another prep step towards Fiona’s baby quilt.  I decided upon the quilt's dimensions and layout. 
                I spent a night burning the midnight oil on researching what would be the most appropriate dimensions for Fiona’s quilt.  I want to buy a crib that transitions with her as she grows into toddlerhood and I want the quilt I make to accommodate that transition.  The crib mattress I buy will be the same mattress used for the next few years as she grows bigger and bigger (aww…I cannot wait to meet her!).  This means that the quilt I make now will be the appropriate size until she grows out of her toddler bed.
      So, the consensus I found was the typical dimensions are 54in X 32 in.
     However,  I am new at this.  And I never follow things 100% by the book because that would make my life too easy in most scenarios.  I adjusted the dimensions for my blanket to be 54” X 34”.
     I am sorry it is somewhat difficult to see the #s on the sketch, but they are explained here.  The sketch you see is Fiona’s blanket cut in half.  I created this simple design all on my own!  I just used the outside dimensions for the foundation.  The inside patchwork section is 50" X 30" and will be made up of 60 5” squares.  This blanket will have 1 simple 2” border all the way around.  So the length of the blanket will be 54” and the width will be 34”.
     I think that the most aesthetically pleasing layout, to me, will have 16 embroidered squares.  I had originally only planned to embroider 9 themed squares, but after looking into what this design needs I am going to need to shake things up a bit.   The embroidered squares are represented by stars within them.
     I chose so many squares in my design because I want this blanket to have a modern vintage look to it.  I want it to be filled with embroidery and simple squares.  There are a lot of other designs I could have chosen, but this is what I have had visioned from the get go.  I cannot wait to make this a reality for Fi!

Cheers!!

No comments :

Post a Comment