Monday, August 27, 2012

My First Sewing Session!

I did it.  I spent my first 2 hours on my sewing machine!!!!!!!

Look! My first threaded needle on a sewing machine!

      I have been insanely busy with family engagements, birthday celebrations, being a walking zombie, and taking a snooze day to relax with the hub.  I completed all this on Thursday but just now had time to blog it out!  
     Please don't let it take away from the excitement I know you cannot help but share with me! (that was a joke because I am really too excited and I am sure your level of care for this particular minute victory is slim in comparison, which, believe me, is quite ok with me.)

My first correctly threaded bobbin!

            ANYWAYS, I successfully threaded my bobbin! And successfully threaded my needle!  YAYAYAYA! And tried out the different stitches my J Foot offered!
      So much self pride over something a 6 year old can be taught…and I do not care!  I am so proud!
It took a few times to figure out what exactly the pictures were implying on my step to step guide in my sewing manual.  Pictures only get me so far – words and videos get me all the way.  But figured it out nonetheless.

     The night before my first sewing endeavor I found some really helpful videos online that have given me the confidence that I can complete Fiona’s baby quilt like a champion.  I love Mary Fons – she is my new idol.  She is quirky and totally speaks my language.  I found her to be really encouraging and her explanations to be exactly what I was looking for in a video tutorial.  I had contemplated for a couple months, just how I was going to teach myself to sew.  I could not find any reasonable local classes, the only  ones I found were outrageously expensive.  I considered the option of a beginner’s tutorial online sewing class through craftsy.com.  However, I did not want to pay $30 for the class and then have to buy the teachers book to get the patterns she would teach on top of the original cost.  (A pillowcase and pencil skirt.)
       I felt like I was in a dilemma.  I am a cheap SOB but I want to sew.  What to do.  Jason has encouraged me to just grab the bull by the balloons or find videos.  I thank him for that encouragement and apologize for doing that thing where I go through a phase of doubt.  However, that time of doubt is over and the sewing era has begun.
     So, like I mentioned before, I did actually find some really helpful youtube channels that have made this adventure less daunting.  I love Mary Fons ‘ Quilty series and am also very, very happy to have found Missouri Star Quilt Co.  I have learned from Quilty’s videos that it is completely necessary to have my sewing manual handy AT ALL TIMES as a rookie and even as a veteran.  Thank you Fons, my sewing manual has become my non -ideological sewing bible.  I do not feel stupid for keeping that by my side and underneath my pillow (osmosis is worth a try for all beginners in my book.) 

      I sat down at my machine at about 8:30am Thursday morning and decided to first understand the set up of my machine.  The second step was to tackle the bobbin.  Figuring out how to thread the machine for the bobbin was not too difficult.  My machine is nice to me and provides threading directions!

1st attempt at the bobbin
    
        It took me about 4 attempts at spinning the bobbin before it wound properly.  I ran into a few beginner issues.  I didn't have the bobbing snapped in.  Another time the extra string at the top got tangled in the spin process and the string started to spin underneath the bobbin holder ( a mini panic attack might have occurred.)  

Such a mess, ugh

     Another time, the thing just didn't move because I hadn't moved the bobbin to its place to the right.  But finally, after rewatching a Quilty tutorial on the bobbin I realized the mistake I had made most wer not just a few steps being left out completely, but the inital winding of my bobbin to get it started need to be clockwise and more intentional.  


      Thank goodness I finally got it!

Ta Da!
    
  After I successfully wound my first bobbin, I felt comfortable tackling the second new task of inserting my bobbing into its compartment.  This was easy shmeazy (Thank God.)

Yay!


      Following the bobbin completion, I took the next 45 minutes threading my needle.  Luckily, once I figured out the instructions this step has been the easiest step for me to repeat.

Yes, I captured my first stitch just for this post :)
     
      With all the crawling learned, I thought it might be an ok time to try walking with my first stitch!


     Another first - my first test swatch!


     My first sewing workspace - and as you can tell it is not staged for pretty pictures.  Love this space.  I am right underneath a large ceiling light and I get light from the kitchen.  Perfect little setup or takedown for a 1 bedroom apartment.

And here is me!


       Excuse my drying dishes and water bottles! 

     As you can see, I am having my struggles.  There was some knots, some catches, some temper tantrums, but in the end there is SUCCESS!  Can’t wait to share round 2! CHEERS!

No comments :

Post a Comment