Friday, February 21, 2014

Crock Pot Homemade Applesauce Recipe



Fiona loves this delicious homemade applesauce.  She cannot get enough of it.  Which makes me really happy because I ended up winging this recipe on President's Day and it tastes EXACTLY like my Grandma's.  I must have been channeling her as I had been thinking about her all weekend for it would have been her birthday weekend.  (She passed in 2006.)  So, with a nod to Fiona and my Grandma, I figured I should share this recipe.

I also want to say that this is something I give to Fiona as a treat and feel guilt-free about in conjunction with it being a great way to get a good source for her daily fruit intake.

CROCK POT HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE

Ingredients:
1 Crock Pot
4 Cups Gala Apples
   (Any apples will be fine.  I prefer Gala for they are so sweet)
4 Tbs Unsalted Butter
    (1/2 Stick)
Cinnamon - Amount to your discretion.
    (We like a lot of Cinnamon)
2 Tbs Turbinado Suar
1 Tbs Lemon Juice

Directions:
1. Peel and core all of your apples.
2. Chop them evenly.
3. Place apples in Crock Pot.
4. Sprinkle Cinnamon and Turbinado Sugar over apples and mix together until the apples are evenly coated.
5. Drizzle Lemon Juice on top of apples and mix together again.
6. Place 1/2 stick of butter on top of apples.
7. Place the lid on the Crock Pot and turn it on LOW heat.
8.  In one hour check on the apples and stir the butter into the apples to distribute evenly through the rest of the cooking time.
9.  Let the apples break down for about 3 hours from original start point and then check on them.  If they are smash-able with a fork then they are ready to be smashed like you would if you were making mashed potatoes.  If they are not quite ready, give them more time.
      [Note* Please remember crock pot times will vary depending on what size crock pot you are using.]
10. When the apples have been mashed make any adjustments needed for taste.
11. Serve hot and/or cold - as a snack and/or as dessert.
      (We ate ours with homemade bread and it was delicious.)

I hope you enjoy this recipe and feel free to comment below!

Cheers!



No comments :

Post a Comment