Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Hooked on Crochet


During my hiatus from the blog I picked up a new skill: Crochet.

     I found it difficult to sew and/or to embroider in our small apartment with Fiona and Jason working nights.

     I became frustrated that with the very little available time I had to create something, I spent the entire free time setting up and then cleaning up, resulting in no creative result.  Just set up and clean up.  I couldn't sew anything, and I couldn't embroider anything.

     So I cooked and baked.  Now, I love cooking and baking, but I needed to show something else for my time and my mind was too filled with rampant thoughts of our possible move to Colorado.  I needed something to keep my hands busy and my mind calm.  But, I needed something that I could pick up easily and work on my work in progresses here and there throughout the day and sometimes at night as Fiona slept next to me. (I know what you are thinking - that is a freaking laundry list.)

     Thankfully, due to my following of many creative people on Instagram, I was introduced to the beautiful designs and patterns and creations that Crochet and Knitting produced.  I had tried knitting while I was pregnant and remember the frustration I felt to this day and thought maybe crochet might be more of what I was looking for to finish my projects quickly.  I contemplated hard for about 2 weeks which skill I really wanted to try to master, and though knitting has more patterns, I thought crochet might be just what my creative spirit is searching for.


Guess what, it was and is.

     I am hooked on hooking.  I am absolutely in love with crochet.  I think it is beautiful and inspiring.  I am constantly learning and wanting to make new things and am confident in my ability to finish a started project.  Now being in Colorado, things are a lot easier for me to commit to starting and finsihing out here, but I think regardless of where I am I will always be connected to crochet.  It is a wonderful, wonderful hobby, skill, and craft.

Cheers!

3 comments :

  1. Yeah for you! As an AVID knitter, I can understand your love for crochet. Have you used Ravelry.com for patterns and groups? They are awesome. You might find a knitting/crochet group in the area that meets at a local coffee place-GREAT way to meet new friends! Enjoy your crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! I have used Ravelry.com and LOVE it. Between Ravelry and Pinterest I am able to find some awesome free pattern downloads. It is such a great tool. I have not joined any groups yet, but I really should. I am the only person I know who likes to crochet besides some people on Instagram whom I have enjoyed getting to slightly know. There is a yarn shop here in town and I have been meaning to ask if there any groups like that who meet. I think your comment just gave me the momentum to be bold and do it. I have only made a few friends here and would really love to meet someone to craft and needlework with. Thank you for your kind words Nicole!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete