Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sewing Project #5: Dish Towel Drying Mat



This is another project I LOVED.  Let’s face it, I have loved every single project I have attempted so far.  

With this project another new first was achieved: TERRY CLOTH!

     Before we start this post can we please take a moment and talk about the beauty of this vintage inspired fabric?  I instantaneously fell in love with it and knew this was the fabric for my mat and most likely a few others.  Obviously just something great to have in my stash!

     We don’t have a dishwasher in my apartment.  I usually have to alternate kitchen towels on the designated dish-drying portion of our counterpace.   I saw a project for a quilted dish drying mat in a recent magazine.  I thought to myself.  Hey!  I can just sew this and turn it inside out and top stitch.  That will be so much cuter!

     Now that we talked about the cotton fabric, let’s talk about Terry Cloth.  This was a difficult fabric to use while still a novice with my rotary cutter.  I think as I get more of a hang of the rotary cutter’s power I will get more effective in cutting all sorts of fabric.  I also think I tested the limits of my rotary cutter with this project.  I cut 4 layers at a time.  Next time, I will only cut through 2 layers at a time.  There were a lot of inconsistencies within 1/4 “ – ½”. But, as a beginner, it is all about trial and error!
I cut my pieces in the afternoon and sewed this up during Fiona’s evening nap.  Another all in one day project! 

     Secondly, I cannot wait to sit down and dedicate time to the Walking Foot again.  As I was sewing the two fabrics together I was very happy I thought ahead and chose a ½” seam allowance for the inside seam just in case what happened happened.  As I was sewing the terry cloth was slipping and moving at a different rate than the 100% Cotton.  I believe that if I had used a walking foot, this problem would have been prevented and my accuracy would have been greater.  I am grateful that for the top stitch portion I had gotten an idea of how to best hold both fabrics and achieved a ¼” seam all the way around.  Also, thanks to my ¼” Quilting Foot my lines are so much straighter!!!


Cheers!



No comments :

Post a Comment