Friday, May 10, 2013

Sewing Project #4: Turbands


Let us discuss Turbands:  turban inspired hairbands.

     These suckers are so cute!  And apparently all the rage…LAST year.  I had no clue.  As we all know by now, I was on another planet last year while I carried LittleBabyFiona. 

     Well, recently I watched, yet another, tutorial on how to make one of these and I thought what a perfect project for me to try sewing on a material different than 100% cotton fabric.
In the tutorial the woman makes her Turband out of scrap jersey.

     Last Friday I ran over to Joanne’s to use up one of my coupons for another project and I decided to pick up ¼ yard of stretch fabric for this project.  My time was limited so I did not dwell on the fabric.   I chose a Heather Grey stretch fabric that is 95% Cotton and 5% Spandex.

     I didn’t really intend on doing this project for a while because sewing on a stretch knit fabric intimidated the crap out of me.  But on Sunday I said, “What the Hell.”  And, you know what?  I made not just one Turband.  I made two.  So what does that tell you?

     Actually, it just tells me I held a spirit of perseverance last Sunday.  I ran into some issues with the walking foot. 

OH, THE WALKING FOOT
Let me just say that the walking foot and I are in our own corners right now. 

      Instead of making my life easier like EVERYONE says it will it kept eating all of my test fabrics.  I was really nervous I would break my machine since I do not know exactly what it can and cannot handle.  (Especially with a fabric I am not familiar with whatsoever.)  I will say in the defense of the walking foot, I did not use BallPoint needles.  But that didn’t matter in the end result because everything worked brilliantly with my J Foot.

     I sewed my 2 Turbands with my J Foot.  There is a slight pucker on the seam.  This doesn’t matter at all      for my particular project since the seams are hidden and the fabrics are twisted together then sewn then wrapped around your head.

     Thank goodness that in the end I had succeeded at my first attempt in working with knit fabric.
I am really stubborn and will not tolerate being defeated. 


     I like the smaller when I need a hairband to keep my hair out of my face when wear my hari down. 

Posed
Our 'Oh, we are just so precious' faces
Reality
  My 'EFF that hurt' face.
  Fiona's 'Content with herself' face.
[She scratched the hell out of me with her talons.]  

     I LOVE the larger one for when I wear my hair in a huge messy bun at the top of my head. 

     I have realized these each serve their own purpose and only use each one for described things. 
     (hashtag smallheadproblems)




No comments :

Post a Comment