Thursday, July 12, 2012

Music Realization

Me and my friend Jen, tore up at Warped Tour 2007 in Ventura I think

                                 Today I realized that it has been too long since I had enlisted new music into my collection.   So At 7:30am this was priority #1 on my list for things to be completed today because this was the 2nd catalyst of my “ehhhh, I am in a funk today.”
                  The past 10 years I have been the first to know the band, the first to know all about the band, and the first to say “OH MY GOD _____ is on the radio.  Good for them, but man that sucks for me.  Their shows will never be the same.”  It was a little surreal this morning to realize just how long it had been since I had desired new music.  I think the last new full length album I had gotten was last December and it was Oh Sleeper’s Children of Fire.  [Oh Sleeper is a metalcore band out of Texas.]
                The 3rd wave of my funk was the realization that it has been over a year since I was at my last show.  It has been over a year since I was in a room with tattoos and too much trend.  Beyond that, I cannot even remember the last time I was at a show with one arm out to guard myself from the pit, while the other hailed the musicians with my fist (pre-Jersey).

I loved The Unseen 

                Times have changed and I am not suffering “What’s My Age Again” like Mark Hoppus.  Which, I am thankful for.  I have been enthralled with a lot of new things, and rediscovering a lot of old things.  With everything going on, my musical obsession just took a backseat.  I was complacent in recycling the music I have in my library (which, is quite a lot) and have really separated myself from the way I used to live my life.

My hardcore phase.  I had The Addicts represented on the others side...
               
The main wall of my 1st apartment

  When I first entered college, I was dead set on being a music journalist.  Chuck Klosterman has lived it all.  I wanted to write for AP Magazine, and be the first to spot the new hit band.  Knowing the history of music was not a hobby, but a lifestyle.  Buying new music was not just a hobby, it was a solid investment.  Making connections at shows was yes socialization, but crucial networking.  That was my life.  I lived, breathed, and slept it.  My friends all shared the same passion, them more so than myself.  The majority of them were musicians, or music majors and are your typical music nerds in every since of the way.  Romantics, literary lovers, hard exteriors with melting hearts, philosophers, smelly but friendly, and cannot sit still on a couch without strumming a guitar. 
                Now, my life is different, and I love that it is different.  I have different goals, obsessions, and business mentalities.  Its interesting to look back on where you were, and where you are.  Now, I like to write but am not narrow-minded.  Now, I have a husband and a household of love.  Now, I search twitter for political updates and craft blog updates, along with Funny or Die and comedians.  However, I definitely follow Bad Religion, Greg Graffin, and Brett Gurewitz.  Now, life is moving in all sorts of positive directions with bottomless options, not just one.
                Oh, realizations. 

Bad Religion at Warped Tour 2009

 CHEERS!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment