Thursday, May 31, 2012

Abraham Lincoln Bookends


             
              5 MONTHS AGO, Jason and I took a walk around Seal Beach after the New Year.  We grubbed at the Rubys at the end of the pier.  Afterwards, our intention was to walk around, grab a Guinness at O’Malley’s, and head home after one of those perfect newlywed days.  Unbeknownst to me, Seal Beach is a little gold mine of small Antique shops.
                At the back of one of the stores, on the right hand side, on the bottom of an odd piece of furniture, tucked away for no one to see, were not one, BUT TWO Abraham Lincoln bookends.  I may have shrieked when I saw them.  Both sets were in fantastic condition.  One set was quite larger than the other, but the smaller one had detail that was closer to what I would want in my home.  I stayed there and looked at them, and took pictures of them, and pined for them, knowing that they would not come home with me.  Jason and I had been married less than 2 months, after a 4 day engagement, about 2 weeks after the bank draining, but Holy holiday, I was not working, and was no way going to drop a large bill on a frivolous, nerdy, but oh- so fantastic set of bookends. 
                I walked away, slowly, photos in my phone, and with dreams of coming back with them waiting for me.  I am glad we decided to get a Guinness after we hit the shops because a perfect pour helped ease the guilt I endured for turning my back on them.
                I admittedly thought about and talked about these bookends often.  I was confident they would be sold within the months since I was there, due to the current craze with Vampire Hunter.  I almost avoided Seal Beach entirely because the fantasy that they might be there was sweeter than the reality that they were forever gone.

               
                LAST WEEK, Jason and I went on another beach stroll, which we do about once a month because the ocean will forever be my haven.  We decided to stop at Seal Beach and take some fancy pictures while walking the pier.  Since we were there, I couldn’t help myself; I had to check out what the stores had.  It was nearing 4pm, and knew the stores would be closing shortly.  We went into the store we thought was the one with my little darlings, but it was the one next to it.  However, Jason and I got caught up looking at knives and brass knuckles and realized our time was running out.  We literally went to the store right next door from the one we got caught up in and the keeper of my babies decided she wanted to close early!  I thought oh no!   I missed it by one shop.  Really?
                However, Jason has a way with the elderly women.  He slid his way right in, and gabbed her up before she could say no, while I ran into the back! BOTH SETS WERE THERE!!! I grabbed them, no time to be choosy.  There was no price, she estimated the 2 and the larger was at least $30 more, which was no problem because I preferred the smaller set. 
                She slowly rang us up for the smaller set, and admitted that she was only closing early because she was bored.  She must have really been over the day because I commented on her blue glass insulators that were on sale and she gave me both for FREE.  I think I have a new favorite spot.
                I spent $45, and got 2 blue glass insulators for free.  I am extremely frugal when it comes to spending money on embellishments for the home.  However, these were worth every single penny.  When you think about an item you couldn’t afford for the following 5 months, I think its safe to say you know you really appreciate that piece.


                I did my research online and cannot decipher who made these bookends.  I know for certain that they are not made by any of the large book end manufactures of the early 20th century.  But, I have no idea who the company is in general that made these.  If you have any information as to what sort of company made these, it would be greatly appreciated if you shared it with me.  It would further the journey I have created with a materialistic, but adored, set of Abraham Lincoln bookends. 
                

No comments :

Post a Comment