Sunday, January 1, 2012

Bacon Wrapped Scallops & 2012!


Happy 2012!

What a great New Year!  Mimosas and family brunch!

     I have a feeling this is going to be the best year of my 23 years of existence.  I am so excited for the projects that will be made.  I hope to find a craft swap online and maybe find a group to join in my local area to help me learn to sew or become reliable in my knitting.  Knitting is hard and I can use all the help I can get! Which reminds me I am super excited to dive into my Christmas gifts from my new seeester! She got me Stitch-in-Bitch's Handbook for Knitters and The Happy Hooker.  (I am extremely excited.)

     I am also extremely excited to test out new recipes both in the savory realm and the baking realm!

     I know it is the 1st of the year, but I am going to break all the rules and blog about something delicious my husband made during the last week of 2011.  It is just too tasty & pretty to leave in the minds of him and I.

BACON WRAPPED SCALLOPS!!!
     Last week we splurged and used a great gift certificate to Orchards Fresh Foods in Whittier, CA and bought a pound of Applewood Smoked Bacon and 6 Large Scallops.  Can you say yum??? 

 We bought them chilled and slightly frozen so Jason gave them a water bath.


Also, I scored at Fresh n Easy last week and bought a grip of herbs that needed to be used within a day or two .  So, Jason made a fabulous Herb sauce made with Basil, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Mayonaisse and juice of half a lemon.  If you didn’t say yum before, you better say it now… YUMMMMM!

Jason rolled the outisde of the scallop and preheated the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.

The scallops are kept together with 2 toothpicks each and placed perfectly in his newly seasoned Cast Iron Skillet.  If you like salt, like me, add just a few specs of salt on top.    

He thought it would be a great idea to season his other skillet with Applewood Smoked Bacon - I CONCUR! 
Broil the lovelies for at least 20 minutes, when the bacon is just done you should have perfect scallops.  Every oven is different, our bacon was sliced thick so we waited for about 35 minutes. ( Pure torture~!)

 For our side I tossed together a Beet Salad mix with sliced mushrrom, celery, scallions and radishes. Jason mixed together a wonderful Balsamic Vinegrette in our favorite kitchen accessory: a Ball jar.
We also had tomatoes and yellow squash lying around.  I drizzled some olive oil, salt, sliced basil, and red pepper over them and placed them in a pan until the baby tomatoes were about to pop.  

Jason did a great job! The smell these guys gave off was mesmerizing...also, does anyone else see barnacles?



This was hands down the best meal Jason and I have ever made together.  The scallops were cooked perfectly and the herbal sauce was To DIE For!  I am one proud lady!

CHEERS!





No comments :

Post a Comment