Sunday, February 5, 2012

HUSSLING WHILE REMEMBERING QUE SERA SERA

     The long and fruitful hiatus is over.   I haven’t written a single thing in over 2 weeks! Not here, or in my journal.  Somehow, every day the past 2 weeks has been jam packed with new and exciting tales.  I am disappointed I didn’t take an extra 30 minutes out of each day to blog about the exciting events.  But “QUE SERA SERA” right?  So, as a substitute for both you and I, here is a real quick recap:

Yes, I have been practicing my knitting!  I need to buy some really nice yarn to start my first project.  Details, soon to come!

I Have been looking at a lot of ways to begin Freelance Writing and am really understanding what I think will be the best method for me to begin my portfolio.

I am continuing to study and am almost ready for the Cicerone Beer Server Exam.  I want to take that exam and then start the courses to take the Cicerone Exam! ( I want to start sending queries to beer magazines or bloggers.)

We brewed our second homebrew: an American Pale Ale. 

I met with the owners of Bootlegger’s Brewery and interviewed with them Jan 27th for a part-time tasting Room position.  I didn’t get the last position they were interviewing for, which is ok.  They asked to keep my resume on file, so hopefully they might remember me for an office position soon!  They are looking to quadruple their business this year.  I am really excited for them, Bootlegger’s has a really strong work ethic, and a great charisma for Craft Beer.

Jason and I ate at Brea Sports Bar and Grill on Jan 25th as part of his birthday festivities and  had a chance to speak with the Executive Chef.  He asked if we had any questions, and I asked if he had a prep cook position! He said possibly and advised to turn in my resume.  The following few days I had a disabling head cold, and turned in my resume to him the following Tuesday – the 31st.  His Souf Chef called and I interviewed with him on Thursday the 2nd! The Sous Chef ( who in this case really runs the kitchen there)  is going to give me a shot, and I will work about 1-2 shifts a week.

I also applied for a prep/line cook position at a restaurant located at Artists Village in Santa Ana -- Lola Gaspar.  One of the managers called me back that day and offered me a tryout for Feb. 6th, tomorrow at 8 AM!   I am so excited!  They required that I wear an apron or Chef’s Coat, so I bought one  with a temp. ID at Restaurant Depot because ChefsToys is closed on Sundays ( Despite their website saying they are open 10-2.)  I am not sure how to prepare for tomorrow, so I am just praying that I will be gifted with the best chopping skills for tomorrow!

Lastly, I also applied to SusieCakes in Newport Beach.  I have an interview with the General Manager tomorrow after my tryout at Lola Gaspar.  My interview is at 4:30pm.  I could not be any more excited!!! I would love the opportunity to work at both a restaurant and bakery!

     What I really want out of a career is food, writing, and happiness. I want to work with food both in the sweet and savory world.  I want to be in the writing world of food and beer, and maybe one day a book about my life.  And all encompassing, I want my work to provide happiness for both myself, and the people who eat my food or read my writing. 

How does one accomplish this without a proper degree at the moment?  
HUSSLE! HUSSLE! HUSSLE!
CHEERS!

No comments :

Post a Comment