Sunday, February 26, 2012

I can Mark it Off the Bucket List

     Friends, I can mark it off the bucket list: I worked at a restaurant.  I worked as a prep cook in Brea, and worked my tail off for minimum wage.  I worked just long enough to have the “what if?” question answered.  What did I realize?  I work way too hard for minimum wage to make mediocre food.  Now, don’t think me to be so naïve to think it would be like Chopped or Top Chef the first day, but the passion I felt would drive me fell short in the kitchen.  I have been provided a once in a lifetime opportunity to stop and sample my dreams, and thankfully had the time to try cooking out.  I love cooking, and baking, and entertaining at home and for friends or family but not in a restaurant kitchen.  Thus, it has given me more time for other things, and less time wasted.
    I am so glad that the reality of me in a kitchen has fallen short so quickly because as soon as I decided to say “hey, I gave it a go…it’s not for me.”  I started writing again.  No joke.  Literally, the day after I stopped focusing on food professionally I had the inspiration to write again.  Writing is something that I enjoy, and consistently love doing.  I find inspiration for it constantly and thought food would be my main squeeze. Maybe it will, and maybe writing about food is why I have a passion for learning things as a home cook, but it doesn’t mean I need to work in a kitchen. 
     I am thankful I got the experience and am able to narrow down exactly what talents I should focus on for a possible career.  I revamped my “Goals” list, wrote DONE next to a few of them, and walked away with a clearer perspective of the “me”  I want to be.  Because of that, those few weeks in the kitchen are nothing short of priceless and Glorious … CHEERS!

No comments :

Post a Comment